by Paul Sweeney
Meet a new member of the British Car Museum family - a lovely 1948 Alvis TA14
The Alvis Fourteen also known as TA 14 was the first car to be produced by Alvis cars after World War II. Announced in November 1946, it was made until 1950 when it was replaced by the 26.25 HP Alvis Three Litre or TA 21.
The Fourteen was available as a four-door sports saloon built for Alvis by Mulliners of Birmingham but there were also Tickford and Carbodies drophead versions. The bodies were mounted on an updated pre-war Alvis 12/70 chassis that was widened and lengthened but retained the non-independent leaf spring suspension and mechanically operated brakes.
Disc wheels replaced the 12/70s wires.The 1892 cc engine is a slightly larger-bore version of the one used in the 12/70 and produced 65 bhp (48 kW). It is fitted with a single SU type H4 1 1⁄2-inch side-draught carburettor.
The top speed is around 74 mph (119 km/h) and acceleration from 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 22.2 seconds